2008.1 Alpha 1
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The first alpha for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring
- The fully detailed technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring: all of these may not be implemented.
Major new features
Major new features in this first pre-release include:
The PulseAudio sound server is now the default for all installations. Using PulseAudio should allow you easily to control playback from various different applications on various different sound devices in all graphical environments.
The full X.org 7.3 version is used in this pre-release, including X.org server 1.4. This has several implications for some drivers and also for input methods.
KDE 4.0 RC2
The latest release candidate of KDE 4.0 is available for this pre-release. It is not currently included on the discs, but is available from the Cooker repositories (which are the appropriate repositories to use with Mandriva pre-releases). To install KDE 4.0 RC2, add repositories in the usual way, and install the task-kde4 package.
Kernel 2.6.24 RC5
This pre-release uses the latest available release candidate of kernel version 2.6.24, providing the widest possible hardware compatibility.
UUID-based drive mounting
This pre-release defaults to using UUIDs (unique identification numbers) for mounting drives and partitions. This should result in the elimination of situations where different drives try to use the same mount point due to being assigned the same device node when plugged in at different times.
This pre-release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer
- as a One (KDE-based) combined live / install CD edition
The images are available from the following mirrors:
Known issues are collected on the 2008 Spring Errata page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that the Free editions of this release candidate only include free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2008, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2008 and then remain with a 2008 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2008 is released.
- Check that PulseAudio detects all your sound devices and that you can play sound from all applications with no problems.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.