2008.1 Alpha 2
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The second alpha, codenamed Neottia, for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring
- The fully detailed technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring: all of these may not be implemented.
Major new features
Major new features in this second pre-release include:
Latest NVIDIA and ATI proprietary drivers
This pre-release includes 169.07 of the NVIDIA proprietary driver and version 8.44.3 (Catalyst 7.12) of the ATI proprietary driver. These provide performance improvements, bug fixes, and support for the latest cards released by both manufacturers.
Experimental nouveau open source driver for NVIDIA
This pre-release includes the experimental nouveau open source driver for NVIDIA cards. It features improvements on the functionality and feature set of the older nv open source driver, though 3D acceleration support is not yet implemented. For information on testing the nouveau driver, please refer to the release notes.
Updated KDE 4 snapshot
An updated pre-release snapshot of KDE 4.0 was available from the repositories at the time this pre-release was made, and packages of KDE 4.0 final are currently being made available. For details on how to test KDE 4, see this release note.
TeX Live replaces teTeX
The widely used and actively maintained TeX Live has been introduced to replace the now unmaintained teTeX in this pre-release. The switch is still in its early stages, so please be alert for any problems introduced and report them to Bugzilla.
Kernel 2.6.24 RC7
This pre-release uses the latest available release candidate of kernel version 2.6.24, providing the widest possible hardware compatibility.
Major package rebuild
Between the previous pre-release and this one, most packages that had not previously been rebuilt since before the Mandriva Linux 2008 development cycle have been rebuilt. This should resolve several problems to do with changes in shared libraries and so on, but may also possibly result in problems in a few packages. Please look out for unexplained changes in behaviour in less mainstream applications you use, and report them to Bugzilla if necessary.
This pre-release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD or on three CDs, with a traditional installer
- as a One (KDE-based) and One (GNOME-based) combined live / install CD edition, for the x86-32 architecture
The images are available from the following mirrors:
Known issues are collected on the 2008 Spring Errata page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that the Free editions of this release candidate only include free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2008, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2008 and then remain with a 2008 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2008 is released.
- Check that PulseAudio detects all your sound devices and that you can play sound from all applications with no problems.
- Test hibernation functionality, both on laptops and desktops.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.