2009.1 RC 1
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The RC1 version (code name pomerol) for Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring (2009.1) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring: all of these may not be implemented.
There are unresolved issues with KDE, GNOME and maybe others windows managers, which are likely to result in any system upgraded from any stable release to this release candidate being unable to start a desktop, rendering it useless for most people. Please only use this release candidate as a clean installation, and, as always, do not expect to be able to use it as a day-to-day workstation; keep an installation of a stable Mandriva release (or other operating system or distribution, of course) for this purpose.
This RC1 release is available:
- Free DVD edition (x86-32 and x86-64 architectures), with a traditional installer
- One KDE (x86-32 architecture only), installable live CD
- One GNOME (x86-32 architecture only), installable live CD
- Dual arch (both x86-32 and x86-64 architectures), installable CD
2 CDs sets will be finally removed. In order to provide complete set of CDs, One CDs will be completed through new languages. Dual arch is now providing a full light graphical environment using LXDE.
Starting with Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring RC1, we are experimenting with hybrid ISO, which can be easily dumped on USB memory sticks. For RC1, only One GNOME edition ISO file has been processed. To dump a hybrid ISO, you need to follow this procedure :
- plug USB stick on a running system
- unmount any mount points from this USB stick
- as root, run
dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc1-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
where /dev/sdX is the path for the device of your USB stick and X is a only one letter (not one letter and one number). For instance /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd are correct, /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdd2 are not correct and won't work.
- when completed, run sync
- then unplug the stick
- and reboot to test it
On some systems, graphical boot might hang with a window in the top left corner with some numeric data. In this particular case, press enter several times and fill a bug report with details about your system.
For Windows users, we suggest to use dd for Windows available from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd.
New design is starting to be integrated. You will find only gfxboot, bootsplash and backgrounds for Free version available. All other piece of design are not ready yet. Also the K-menu (start) button has been renewed.
Major new features
As this is a pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of included third-party software. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are in progress.
Step 1 of Speedboot is still available in Spring RC1 version. This should improve your boot time. It's still not enabled by default to let us correct last bugs on it. It will be done for RC2 version. To test it, enter speedboot keyword at boot time. You can use Bootchart to test precisely effects on your boot time.
This release includes the final version of KDE 4.2 (KDE 4.2.1). This release will add many new features to KDE 4, including some that were notably present in KDE 3 but lacking in KDE 4.0 and 4.1, along with some brand new features. It should also provide a more stable desktop experience than KDE 4.1 did. More complete information can be found in the official announcement.
KDE team is currently working and helping in finalizing K3b port for KDE 4. It will be all available in final release.
Also included is GNOME 2.25.92, the RC of GNOME 2.26. Planned changes for GNOME 2.26 can be found here. Sound applet is now working with Pulse Audio.
The final Xfce 4.6 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring RC1 by installing the task-xfce package.
Light graphical environment
Default light environment is now LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) instead of icewm in all available isos.
OpenOffice.Org 3.0.1 is available. You will find the release notes for this stable release here.
RC1 comes with 2 plugins installed by default:
A lot of work has been done on installer in order to use urpmi by default in installer. Main advantages are:
- reduce code duplication
- improve maintainance
- same codepath used either by installer, urpmi or One generation tool
A new entry has been added in installer media (gfxboot screen). Using it will allow you to restore your system from a backup made at a given date, provided you have planned full system backups. Full tests on this functionality are in progress.
- Lots of bug fixes for new version of msec. msec has been almost re-written from the ground up to make it more suitable for modern systems and security requirements.
drakx-net, Interactive Firewall
- Many bug fixes.
Kernel 2.6.29 RC 6
The RC 6 2.6.29 kernel is used in this RC. There is a useful series of articles in the Heise Online series Kernel Log which detail the many new features of kernel 2.6.29. Of course, the most notable changes are improvements in hardware support, including ongoing improvements to support for the many Intel HDA sound devices, and many webcams.
Syslinux - HDT
Both have been updated to the latest version. Syslinux 3.73 provides new features.
New module has been added in syslinux: HDT (Hardware Detection Tool). This module is available from the installation menu. Select it from the menu and you will be able to display hardware related low-level information for an x86 compatible system for components such as:
- Disks (work in progress)
- Linux Kernel modules needed by this host
- PXE environment
ext4 file system
ext4 is now available in a stable module version. ext4 is available through Mandriva installer but not as default choice. You can find it in file systems list. Booting with a root ("/") ext4 file system is now also made possible.
X.org server 1.6.0
- The major new release of the X.org server, version 1.6, is included in this pre-release. The most important change in this version is so-called 'input hotplugging' - a system by which the X server handles the detection and configuration of input devices, using the evdev driver. This change has been integrated into Mandriva so that the Mandriva keyboard and mouse configuration tools continue to work as expected.
- Default behaviour for now disables Ctrl+Alt+backspace shortcut to restart X server. This behaviour can be reverted to the old default by adding 'Option "DontZap" "false"' to the Section '"ServerFlags"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
- Lots of bug fixes in this release. Nvidia drivers are now working properly. Multimedia keys bug is also fixed. Non working Intel cards and basically all those using randr 1.1 are now working fine.
- fglrx is still not supported, as well as dmx which may be let down by upstream team.
The whole Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors are available at this URL : Worldwide Mandriva Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Canada)
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Brazil)
- http://fundawang.lcuc.org.cn/mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (China)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://mandriva.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Italia)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Poland)
- ftp://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/linux/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Portugal)
- ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.cz/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Norway)
Known issues are collected on the 2009 Spring Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Large tests are required on msec, using GUI or command line.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop, especially due to qt update.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices. The new input hotplugging system is a major change and we would like to catch any problems it introduces.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this pre-release (except One edition) only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2009 Spring and then remain with a 2009 Spring system, you must change your repositories at the time 2009 Spring is released.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. It should be assigned in Bugzilla to release at mandriva.com. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
- We are looking for tests on printing especially using printers that need to download a specific firmware.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.