2009.1 RC 2
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The RC2 version (code name Estephe) for Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring (2009.1) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring: all of these may not be implemented.
Even if number of unresolved issues with KDE, GNOME and maybe others windows managers are decreasing, they are likely to result in any system upgraded from any stable release to this release candidate being unable to start a desktop, rendering it useless for most people. Please only use this release candidate as a clean installation, and, as always, do not expect to be able to use it as a day-to-day workstation; keep an installation of a stable Mandriva release (or other operating system or distribution, of course) for this purpose.
This RC2 release is available:
- Free DVD edition (x86-32 and x86-64 architectures), with a traditional installer
- One KDE (x86-32 architecture only), installable live CD - 4 isos are available depending on required languages
- One GNOME (x86-32 architecture only), installable live CD - 2 isos are available depending on required languages
- Dual arch (both x86-32 and x86-64 architectures), installable CD
Free 2 CDs sets are no longer available. In order to provide complete set of CDs, One CDs has been improved by adding new languages. Dual arch is now providing a full light graphical environment using LXDE.
Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring RC2 introduces hybrid ISO, which can be easily dumped on USB memory sticks. All One ISOs files have been processed. To dump a hybrid ISO, you need to follow this procedure :
- plug USB stick on a running system
- unmount any mount points from this USB stick
- as root, run
dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
where /dev/sdX is the path for the device of your USB stick and X is a only one letter (not one letter and one number). For instance /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd are correct, /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdd2 are not correct and won't work.
- when completed, run sync
- then unplug the stick
- and reboot to test it
On some systems, graphical boot might hang with a window in the top left corner with some numeric data. In this particular case, press enter several times and fill a bug report with details about your system.
For Windows users, we suggest to use dd for Windows available from http://www.chrysocome.net/dd.
We are working at the moment on GUIs for Linux and Windows environments. They will be introduced in coming days.
Online upgrade from Mandriva 2009.0
In order to widely test this functionnality, we have enabled it on 2009.0 as a testing function. You can upgrade from 2009.0 to 2009.1(Cooker) through mdkonline applet. All tests welcome to help us fix last issues on upgrade. Here is the process to be followed (executed as user):
killall mdkapplet mdkapplet --testing
It will take around 5 minutes until the upgrade is proposed. When Mandriva 2009.1 final is released and all went well you can change the mirrors to the Mandriva 2009.1 spring mirrors and continue using the install as a regular 2009.1 spring install.
New design is nearly all integrated. KDE ia_ora themes are not up-to-date on isos. It will be available through updates in coming hours.
Major new features
As this is a pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of included third-party software. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are in progress.
Speedboot has reached phase 2 : it is now available by default in Spring RC2 version and will autoenable itself if system configuration is compatible with speedboot.
This release includes the final version of KDE 4.2 (KDE 4.2.2). This release will add many new features to KDE 4, including some that were notably present in KDE 3 but lacking in KDE 4.0 and 4.1, along with some brand new features. It should also provide a more stable desktop experience than KDE 4.1. More complete information can be found in official announcement.
KDE team has been working hard on finalizing K3B port for KDE 4. You can test it right now as burning functionnalities are back for CDs and DVDs.
Also included is final version of GNOME 2.26. New features from GNOME 2.26 can be found here. Sound applet is now using Pulse Audio.
The final Xfce 4.6 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring RC2 by installing the task-xfce package.
Light graphical environment
Default light environment is now LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) instead of icewm in all available isos.
OpenOffice.Org 3.0.1 is available. You will find here release notes for this stable release.
RC2 comes with 2 plugins installed by default:
A lot of work has been done on installer in order to use urpmi by default in installer and available for RC2 version. Main advantages are:
- reduce code duplication
- improve maintainance
- same codepath used either by installer, urpmi or One generation tool
Lots of regressions are now fixed.
- Lots of bug fixes for new version of msec
drakx-net, Interactive Firewall
- Many bug fixes.
Final release of the 2.6.29 kernel is used in this RC. There is a useful series of articles in the Heise Online series Kernel Log which detail the many new features of kernel 2.6.29. Of course, the most notable changes are improvements in hardware support, including ongoing improvements to support for the many Intel HDA sound devices, and many webcams.
Syslinux - HDT
Both have been updated to the latest version. Syslinux 3.73 provides new features.
New module has been added in syslinux: HDT (Hardware Detection Tool). This module is available from the installation menu. Select it from the menu and you will be able to display hardware related low-level information for an x86 compatible system for components such as:
- Disks (work in progress)
- Linux Kernel modules needed by this host
- PXE environment
ext4 file system
ext4 is now available in a stable module version. ext4 is available through Mandriva installer but not as default choice. You can find it in file systems list. Booting with a root ("/") ext4 file system is now also made possible.
X.org server 1.6.0
- The major new release of the X.org server, version 1.6, is included in this pre-release. The most important change in this version is so-called 'input hotplugging' - a system by which the X server handles the detection and configuration of input devices, using the evdev driver. This change has been integrated into Mandriva so that the Mandriva keyboard and mouse configuration tools continue to work as expected.
- Default behaviour for now disables Ctrl+Alt+backspace shortcut to restart X server. This behaviour can be reverted to the old default by adding 'Option "DontZap" "false"' to the Section '"ServerFlags"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf .
- Lots of bug fixes in this release. Nvidia drivers are now working properly. Multimedia keys bug is also fixed. Non working Intel cards and basically all those using randr 1.1 are now working fine.
- fglrx is now supported on recent cards. Non supported cards are configured to use open source driver by default.
- Intel drivers are being updated at the moment as we have some trouble with actual version in some cases. You can help in testing it. Use x11-driver-video-intel-22.214.171.1243-0.20090402.1mdv2009.1 package available in main/testing repository.
- openchrome drivers has just been updated. You can help in testing it. Use x11-driver-video-openchrome-0.2.903-4mdv2009.1 package available in main/testing repository.
Known issues are collected on the 2009 Spring Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
Installation from a USB disk with the iso stored on a hard disk will not work.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this release candidate. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Large tests are required on fglrx and Intel drivers to help us define the right way to implement this
- Tests are required on Pulse Audio. We do focus on regression between 2009 Spring RC2 and 2009.0 (bad quality of sound or system sound not working at all)
- Tests are required on Compiz regarding this bug: #47900
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop, especially due to qt update.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices. The new input hotplugging system is a major change and we would like to catch any problems it introduces.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this release candidate (except One edition) only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2009 Spring and then remain with a 2009 Spring system, you must change your repositories at the time 2009 Spring is released.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. It should be assigned in Bugzilla to release at mandriva.com. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
- We are looking for tests on printing especially using printers that need to download a specific firmware.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
The whole Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors are available at this URL : Worldwide Mandriva Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Canada)
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Brazil)
- http://fundawang.lcuc.org.cn/mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (China)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://mandriva.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/Mandrake/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Italia)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Poland)
- ftp://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/linux/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Portugal)
- ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.cz/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.uninett.no/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2009.1/ (Norway)