2010.0 Alpha 1
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The first alpha for Mandriva Linux 2010 (2010.0) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2010 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2010
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2010: all of these may not be implemented.
This is noted elsewhere, but as a special important notice, please do not use this Alpha version to upgrade an existing Mandriva Linux installation. There are unresolved issues with KDE, GNOME and maybe others windows managers which are likely to result in any system upgraded from any stable release to this alpha being unable to start a desktop, rendering it useless for most people. Please only use this alpha as a clean installation, and, as always, do not expect to be able to use it as a day-to-day workstation; keep an installation of a stable Mandriva release (or other operating system or distribution, of course) for this purpose.
This Alpha 1 release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer
Major new features
As this is an early pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of included third-party software. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are not ready for inclusion in a public pre-release. But you find all the planned changes in the PDF file : "2010 specifications" available here. A summary for them in the Mandriva BLOG. There is also more informations about new features and improvement in this alpha 1 in the Frederik’s Blog
KDE 4.3 Beta 2
This pre-release includes the second beta of KDE 4.3, an upgrade in stability and functionality over KDE 4.2. (4.3 Beta 2 is also known as 4.2.90: this is the version you will see in package names). This release will add many new features to KDE 4, including some that were notably present in KDE 3 but lacking in KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2, along with some brand new features. It should also provide a more stable desktop experience than KDE 4.2. A list of features planned for KDE 4.3, along with their current status, can be found here. There is a shorter prose write up of several of the new features, based on Beta 1 rather than Beta 2, here and here 2 and here 3 .
Also included is GNOME 2.27.3, the third pre-release of GNOME 2.28. Planned changes for GNOME 2.28 can be found here. A notable planned change will be improvements in GNOME Media with : Webcam support and Live streaming recording in sound-recorder or podcaster.
The Xfce 4.6.1 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. Changes in Xfce 4.6.1 are available here. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2010 Alpha 1 by installing the task-xfce package.
A recent stable release of the kernel 2.6.30 is used in this alpha. There is a useful series of articles in the Heise Online series Kernel Log which detail the many new features of kernel 2.6.30; the link is to Part 6, you can find links to the previous five parts at the end of the article. Of course, the most notable changes are improvements in hardware support, including ongoing improvements to support more LAN, Wi-Fi, audio and video hardware. There is changes to the Ext3 and Ext4 file systems, Faster encryption and booting, Tomoyo security framework.
X.org server 184.108.40.2061
Known issues are collected on the 2010 Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop; despite its beta status, we expect it to provide a relatively usable and stable experience, so please report any significant stability or usability issues.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this alpha only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2010, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2010 and then remain with a 2010 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2009 Spring is released.
- You can find here useful informations to do a day-to-day Mandriva's applications testing. You can use them for testing and participate to improve Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors
The whole Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors are available at this URL : Worldwide Mandriva Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)