2010.0 Alpha 2
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The second alpha for Mandriva Linux 2010 (2010.0) is available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2010 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2010
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2010: all of these may not be implemented.
Please do not use this Alpha version to upgrade an existing Mandriva Linux installation. There are unresolved issues with KDE, GNOME and maybe others windows managers which are likely to result in any system upgraded from any stable release to this alpha being unable to start a desktop, rendering it useless for most people. Please only use this alpha as a clean installation, and, as always, do not expect to be able to use it as a day-to-day workstation; keep an installation of a stable Mandriva release (or other operating system or distribution, of course) for this purpose.
This Alpha 2 release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer
- you can add at any moment non-free media
Major new features
As this is an early pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of included third-party software. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are not ready for inclusion in a public pre-release. But you find all the planned changes in the PDF file : "2010 specifications" available here.
KDE 4.3 RC 3
This pre-release includes the lastest RC release of KDE 4.3 (also know as 4.2.98). This release will add many new features to KDE 4, including some that were notably present in KDE 3 but lacking in KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2, along with some brand new features. It should also provide a more stable desktop experience than KDE 4.2. A list of features planned for KDE 4.3, along with their current status, can be found here. There is a shorter prose write up of several of the new features, based on Beta 1 rather than Beta 2, here and here 2 and here 3 .
Other KDE related updates:
- KOffice 2.0.1,
- Amarok 2.1.1,
- Digikam 1.0 beta 3,
- Kipi plug-ins 0.5.0.
- KMess MSN Live instant messenger 2.0.0.
GNOME 2.27.5 is the latest development version of GNOME which will finally lead to stable version 2.28. It contains latest version of GTK+ with client-side window. This feature should reduce window flickering. You will find in repository, GNote, a C++ port of Tomboy. Alpha versions of Mutter, Zeitgeist are also available. These will be the basis of future version GNOME 3.0. A notable planned change will be improvements in GNOME Media with : Webcam support and Live streaming recording in sound-recorder or podcaster.
The Xfce 4.6.1 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. Changes in Xfce 4.6.1 are available here. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2010 Alpha 2 by installing the task-xfce package.
Kernel 2.6.31 RC4
This second alpha version comes with RC4 of 2.6.31 kernel.
X.org server 1.6.2
The major new release of the X.org server, is included in this alpha. It is mostly a bug fix release. You can find the changes in this version on this web page. New driver version for Intel graphic chipset should improve performance and stability, thanks to DRI2 and UXA architecture.
Many bug fixes in this alpha2 version especially in network management tools.
A new tool has been added: tomoyo-gui. Install this package using urpmi or rpmdrake. This is a completely new frontend for Tomoyo. Tomoyo is the new security framework used by default instead of AppArmor.
Change in device permission handling
Starting with Alpha 2, devices ownership is no longer changed to console privileged users. Instead, ACL are set and removed by udev on the fly. If you find any regression in device access, please fill bug reports.
apache-2.2.12 now has native upstream SNI support (server name indication extension (RFC 4366)) previousely added as a third party patch added since 2008.1.
php has been upgraded to 5.3.0. More info at the php site at http://www.php.net/ as there are simply too many changes to list here.
Known issues are collected on the 2010 Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop; despite its RC status, we expect it to provide a relatively usable and stable experience, so please report any significant stability or usability issues.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices or device access.
- D-Bus has switched to a strict policy ; report any regression in D-Bus based software.
- Report any GTK+ regression, which might be related to GTK+ client-side window feature.
- Testing of tomoyo-gui is welcome, specially if you already had previous experience with TOMOYO Linux and its console utils. An introduction to TOMOYO Linux may be handy for get started.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this alpha only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2010, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2010 and then remain with a 2010 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2010 is released.
- You can find here useful informations to do a day-to-day Mandriva's applications testing. You can use them for testing and participate to improve Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)