2010.0 RC 1
From Mandriva Community Wiki
Mandriva Linux 2010 RC1
The RC1 version for Mandriva Linux 2010 (2010.0) is available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2010 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2010
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2010: all of these may not be implemented.
This RC1 release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer;
- dual arch (both 32 and 64 bits) CD iso which provides very light environment. It uses a traditional installer. LXDE is used as graphical environment;
- One isos, KDE and GNOME;
- you can add at any moment non-free media.
All isos are hybrid isos you can dump it on USB key for installation using mandriva-seeds.
For RC1 release we have added Virtualbox image. Start this image, use wizard for localization, users creation and network configuration. Use it!
Major new features
As this is pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of bugs fixing. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are not fully included in public pre-release. But you can find all the planned changes in the PDF file : "2010 specifications" available here.
This RC1 version comes with Plymouth which replaces Splashy to manage boot splash.
Why we switched to Plymouth :
- it supports Kernel Mode-Setting, which reduces screen flickering, permits smooth transitions between boot phase and X startup.
- it still works on VESA framebuffer. For chipsets not yet supporting KMS, we can still have graphical boot, so no feature regression.
- Plymouth is much more customizable than Splashy, allowing nice UI effects.
- It has a nice and simple script language (from Charlie Brej) : you don't need to code in C to write a theme. 2010 beta comes with a Mandriva theme that should nearly look like the old one using Splashy. We will work on providing a full one for 2010 design.
- Plymouth authors are extremely responsive and inclusive.
- We are not alone in using Plymouth : our Fedora friends were the first to integrate it and we can share our experiences and expertise in graphical boot, thus improving the entire Linux ecosystem.
Here comes finally the stable release of KDE 4.3 . This release will add many new features to KDE 4, including some that were present in KDE 3 but notably lacking in KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2, along with some brand new features. It should also provide a more stable desktop experience than KDE 4.2. A list of features planned for KDE 4.3, along with their current status, can be found here. Here is the final announcement for this first stable release.
This RC1 release comes with Amarok 2.2 Beta2 release: many bug fixes and at last ability back to read CDs.
For now, kmymoney2 has been removed as it's much too unstable for now.
RC1 release comes also with Nepomuk integration. Please have a look here to check how to use this innovative and powerful new functionnalities for desktop. Warning: Nepomuk is still experimental and needs as many tests as possible. nepomuk instrgation can affect file dialog usage. Please report any issue.
GNOME 2.27.90 is the latest development version of GNOME which will finally lead to stable version 2.28. It contains the latest version of GTK+ with client-side window. This feature should reduce window flickering. You will find in repository, GNote, a C++ port of Tomboy. Alpha versions of Mutter, Zeitgeist are also available. These will be the basis of the future version GNOME 3.0. A notable planned change will be improvements in GNOME Media with : Webcam support and Live streaming recording in sound-recorder or podcaster.
The Xfce 4.6.1 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. Changes in Xfce 4.6.1 are available here. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2010 Beta by installing the task-xfce package.
Kernel stable 2.6.31
This beta version comes with final release of 2.6.31 kernel.
X.org server 1.6.3
The major new release of the X.org server, is included in this beta. It is mostly a bug fix release. You can find the changes in this version on this web page. New driver version for Intel graphic chipset should improve performance and stability, thanks to DRI2 and UXA architecture.
In order to help improving it, please report back problems, with your arch (i586 or x86_64), and the output of
lspcidrake -v | grep VGA
Try the following command as root and report if it does not output your monitor info:
If it did not output your monitor info, please try the following commands and report if they print monitor info or not:
monitor-get-edid-using-vbe -v --port 0 | monitor-parse-edid monitor-get-edid-using-vbe -v --port 1 | monitor-parse-edid
Tests are also requested to check behaviour of following commands:
monitor-get-edid-using-vbe -v --port 2 | monitor-parse-edid monitor-get-edid-using-vbe -v --port 3 | monitor-parse-edid
These last two commands caused card lockups with some bioses of some old NVIDIA cards (GF2/TNT) with old monitor-edid. Please report if those still occur with current monitor-edid.
urpmi and URPM come with many improvements to help resolving complex dependencies. Example: upgrade from an old version of the distribution to a newer one.
Many more bug fixes in this RC1 version in all drakxtools.
Users management both in installer and userdrake in mcc provide now an easy way to check strongness of password. You will see appearing an icon depending on 3 defined levels (password is trivial to guess / password should resist to basic attacks / password seems secure)
Option has been added in XFdrake to enable Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. Open XFdrake, choose Options menu and uncheck box.
After rewritting, Network profiles management tool has been improved. Using it you can easily create and use several network profile depending where you are (at home, with friends, at work...).
How to use it? It's easy. Go to network section in MCC. Choose network profile management. Click on new profile button. You can now configure your network, urpmi media and proxy for this new profile using Mandriva tools. It's done! You can switch back to default profile using net_applet icon or draknetprofile.
Install this package using urpmi or rpmdrake. This is a completely new frontend for Tomoyo. Tomoyo is the new security framework used by default instead of AppArmor.
You can now configure frequence for updates. Right click on icon or use mcc in "software" section.
Python 3 is now available in contrib repository but for compatibility reasons Python 2.6 will remain the default version for now.
Beta release comes with Virtualbox 3. It now supports SMP virtual machines, improved 3D support and better performance.,
Change in device permission handling
Starting with Alpha 2, devices ownership is no longer changed to console privileged users. Instead, ACL are set and removed by udev on the fly. If you find any regression in device access, please fill bug reports.
Known issues are collected on the 2010 Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop; we expect it to provide a relatively usable and stable experience, so please report any significant stability or usability issues.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices or device access.
- D-Bus has switched to a strict policy ; report any regression in D-Bus based software.
- Report any GTK+ regression, which might be related to GTK+ client-side window feature.
- Testing of tomoyo-gui is welcome, specially if you already had previous experience with TOMOYO Linux and its console utils. An introduction to TOMOYO Linux may be handy for get started.
- Testing of netprofile is welcome. Try using it to see if it simplifies your common use cases (for example, using different network, firewall and proxy configurations at home, work, or when roaming), and tell us how it could be improved or what features you are missing!
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this alpha only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2010, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2010 and then remain with a 2010 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2010 is released.
- You can find here useful informations to do a day-to-day Mandriva's applications testing. You can use them for testing and participate to improve Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Report any missing or unwanted software in Bugzilla, assignee should be email@example.com. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Norway)