2010.0 RC 2
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The RC2 version for Mandriva Linux 2010 (2010.0) is available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2010 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2010
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2010: all of these may not be implemented.
This RC2 release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer;
- dual arch (both 32 and 64 bits) CD iso which provides very light environment. It uses a traditional installer. LXDE is used as graphical environment;
- One isos, KDE and GNOME;
- you can add at any moment non-free media.
All isos are hybrid isos you can dump it on USB key for installation using mandriva-seed.
For RC2 release we have added Virtualbox image. Start this image, use wizard for localization, users creation and network configuration. Use it!
Major new features
Again this second pre-release focus on bugs fixing. You can find all the planned changes in the PDF file : "2010 specifications" available here.
Plymouth is now all integrated and Splashy has been completely removed from distribution. Final design will come with a specific Plymouth theme.
RC2 comes also with Guest account enabled by default. You can use it to allow somebody to use safely your system. Guest account is a temporary account, it can be only used to log in via gdm or kdm. Home and temporary directories for this user are mounted on tmpfs. Integration of guest account will be finalized in coming days adding options in userdrake to add, enable/disable, remove it.
Guest account is provided by xguest package.
A new environment is now included in Mandriva Linux and all integrated for this RC2 release. Mandriva Linux is the first distribution to include full packaged Moblin environment.This environment has been designed for mobile desktop platforms. Netbooks are a given target but you can also use it when you want an ergonomic and simple environment for daily tasks.
You can test it in a very easy way using rpmdrake or urpmi: install task-moblin package. Go back to connection manager and choose Moblin in sessions list. Enjoy!
This RC2 release comes with KDE 4.3.2. This is the best version for now for KDE4. Lots of bug fixes and improvements that make us think we have now a really innovative and stable desktop. Here is the final announcement for this first stable release.
RC2 release integrates Amarok 2.2 final release: many bug fixes and at last ability back to read CDs.
For now, kmymoney2 has been removed as it's much too unstable for now.
RC2 goes on with Nepomuk integration. More bug fixes. Please have a look here to check how to use this innovative and powerful new functionnalities for desktop. You can help in testing and reporting potential bugs using following test case. Use Bugzilla and nepomuk-scribo component.
Warning: Nepomuk is still experimental and needs as many tests as possible. nepomuk instrgation can affect file dialog usage. Please report any issue.
GNOME 2.28 finally lands in RC2 release of Mandriva Linux 2010. . It contains the latest version of GTK+ with client-side window. This feature should reduce window flickering. You will find in repository, GNote, a C++ port of Tomboy. Alpha versions of Mutter, Zeitgeist are also available. These will be the basis of the future version GNOME 3.0. A notable planned change will be improvements in GNOME Media with : Webcam support and Live streaming recording in sound-recorder or podcaster.
As a preview of GNOME 3.0, you can have a look on gnome-shell whose main goal is to redefine users interactions with his desktop.
The Xfce 4.6.1 is also included. This page contains information on the changes, fixes and improvements to be found in version 4.6, including support for the freedesktop.org menu standard (which is used by Mandriva), a new configuration system along with several new settings applications, and a new audio mixer. Changes in Xfce 4.6.1 are available here. As usual, Xfce can be installed on Mandriva Linux 2010 RC2 by installing the task-xfce package.
Poulsbo drivers are now fully supported out of the box when you use One isos. Hardware will be automatically detected and configured using XFdrake. As it needs non-free firmware, this could not be included in Free isos. Tests are much welcome to improve this integration.
X.org server 1.6.3
The major new release of the X.org server, is included in this beta. It is mostly a bug fix release. You can find the changes in this version on this web page. New driver version for Intel graphic chipset should improve performance and stability, thanks to DRI2 and UXA architecture.
urpmi and URPM come with many improvements to help resolving complex dependencies. Example: upgrade from an old version of the distribution to a newer one.
Many more bug fixes in this RC2 version in all drakxtools.
Partition tool in Free and One installers has been redesigned to make it more easily understandable by non advanced users. As partitioning step is always quite sensitive step, the new layout tries to give more information using graphical representation. Warning: this tool is not in final stage as we still work on its design but any comments are welcome.
This tool is now using Webkit instead of Firefox. Means easier and lighter integration.
After rewritting, Network profiles management tool has been improved. Using it you can easily create and use several network profile depending where you are (at home, with friends, at work...).
How to use it? It's easy. Go to network section in MCC. Choose network profile management. Click on new profile button. You can now configure your network, urpmi media and proxy for this new profile using Mandriva tools. It's done! You can switch back to default profile using net_applet icon or draknetprofile.
Net network monitoring tool is available in Mandriva Linux, which is going to replace the default net_monitor application from drakx-net package. For this RC2 release, it is available in contrib media. You may install it using urpmi or drakrpm.
Python 3 is now available in contrib repository but for compatibility reasons Python 2.6 will remain the default version for now.
RC2 release comes with Virtualbox 3.0.8. It now supports SMP virtual machines, improved 3D support and better performance.,
Known issues are collected on the 2010 Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE desktop; we expect it to provide a relatively usable and stable experience, so please report any significant stability or usability issues.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices or device access.
- D-Bus has switched to a strict policy ; report any regression in D-Bus based software.
- Report any GTK+ regression, which might be related to GTK+ client-side window feature.
- Testing of tomoyo-gui is welcome, specially if you already had previous experience with TOMOYO Linux and its console utils. An introduction to TOMOYO Linux may be handy for get started.
- Testing of netprofile is welcome. Try using it to see if it simplifies your common use cases (for example, using different network, firewall and proxy configurations at home, work, or when roaming), and tell us how it could be improved or what features you are missing!
- New network monitoring tool, net_monitor, is available in contrib, and should replace default network monitoring tool from drakx-net before final release. Try using it and report any bugs or missing features.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this alpha only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2010, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2010 and then remain with a 2010 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2010 is released.
- Specific tests required on Poulsbo drivers.
- You can find here useful informations to do a day-to-day Mandriva's applications testing. You can use them for testing and participate to improve Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Report any missing or unwanted software in Bugzilla, assignee should be email@example.com. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
Worldwide Mandriva Officials Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Brazil)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Taiwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Germany)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Sweden)
- ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.0/ (Norway)