2010.1 Alpha 1
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The first alpha for Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring (2010.1) is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring Errata: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current pre-release.
- The release schedule and technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring: all of these may not be implemented.
This is noted elsewhere, but as a special important notice, please do not use this Alpha version to upgrade an existing Mandriva Linux installation. There are unresolved issues with KDE, GNOME and maybe other windows managers which are likely to result in any system upgraded from any stable release to this alpha being unable to start a desktop, rendering it useless for most people. Please only use this alpha as a clean installation, and, as always, do not expect to be able to use it as a day-to-day workstation; keep an installation of a stable Mandriva release (or other operating system or distribution, of course) for this purpose.
Special thanks to Frederik HIMPE for his very useful articles about Cooker daily progress (see Frederik's blog).
This Alpha 1 release is available:
- as a Free edition for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures, on one DVD, with a traditional installer.
Major new features
As this is an early pre-release, the major changes are mostly in the area of included third-party software. The planned changes to Mandriva's own tools and systems are not ready for inclusion in a public pre-release. But you find all the planned changes in the PDF file: "2010 Spring specifications" available here.
Many improvements in guest account management: use of restricted shell, restricted access to other user's files, prevent access for most of Mandriva administration tools...
GNOME 2.29.4: many changes have been implemented in Nautilus before GNOME 3.0 release. Nautilus will then become a file manager only and will not manage desktop anymore. So files management functionalities have been improved and an optional split view has been added fore more convenience. You can now configure a background per monitor on a multi-monitor setup. Tracker is proposed for tests for document search engine. You should find it much more efficient than Beagle.
- a new game called LightsOff;
- improved IRC support for Empathy;
- PDF file attachment annotations support for Evince;
- Seed supported by more and more applications;
- GtkBuilder is one of the new APIs used for applications.
KDE 4.4 beta 2 (development version is 4.3.85): interface for adding widgets has been greatly improved. Ozone and Nitrogen themes have now been merged in Oxygen. See also lots of improvements in KGet.
- QT has reached stable version, 4.6.0.
- Nepomuk is now using Virtuoso as its back-end to store data, which should give faster tagging and indexing.
- Amarok 2.2.2 beta 1: many improvements like podcast support or custom track labels.
- KTorrent 3.3: redesigned GUI for better ergonomy.
- Digikam and kipi-plugins 1.0.
- Firefox 3.6 beta 5. This brand new version comes with lots of improvements in performance. You will find also some new functionalities to improve global ergonomy:
- Tab previews: to activate this new feature, open about:config in your browser and look for browser.CtrlTab.previews parameter.
- Support for Persona themes.
- More feedback information like report when an installed plug-in is out of date.
- OpenOffice.org 3.2 beta 3: startup speed has been improved a lot. Some improvements also in OpenXML files import and basic docx file export.
- Chromium (Google's browser) is available on mirrors. It's for now available only for both i586 and x86_64 in the contrib repositories.
- Nouveau driver: it's now used as free driver for NVidia graphics cards instead of nv. Nouveau will bring Kernel Mode Setting support, 2D acceleration, and RandR 1.2 support (for easy multi-monitor setup).
- Mesa 7.7: 3D support has been enabled for the ATI R600 and R700 chipets (ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later), you can now enjoy 3D acceleration with the free ATI drivers.
- Intel X11 driver version 2.10.0 RC2 is now included in Cooker. Together with kernel 2.6.33 it brings video overlay support for more CPU efficient video playback.
- X.org related packages have been updated to X.org release 7.5. Also included xserver version 1.7.1.
- Linux kernel 2.6.32 rc3 release: Per-backing-device based writeback gives better writing performance under many workloads, kernel samepage merging gives huge improvements in memory usage when running many virtual machines with qemu-kvm, CFQ low latency mode will provide better interactivity for desktop workloads when there’s background I/O activity. There are more improvements to KVM virtualization, power consumption reduction and of course hardware support improvements.
- ntfs-3g driver 2009.11.14: support for file permissions and sequential writing to compressed files, performance improvements when using NTFS file systems.
- Glibc 2.11: many performance improvements. For example, binutils package is now coming with STT_GNU_IFUNC support.
- The GDB debugger was updated to version 7.0. Developers are excited about the process record and replay and reverse debugging features.
- General build options: all packages are now linked with the -Wl,-O1 linker options. This can improve start-up performance of applications linked with many different libraries.
- The Sysklogd system log daemon has been replaced by rsyslog. rsyslog is a very modern system logger with very active development. It includes advanced features such as storing logs in SQL databases, e-mail warnings on some log messages, support for sending syslog messages over TCP and many more.
- Munin 1.4: better scalability, many new plug-ins for monitoring MySQL, PostgreSQL, Asterisk and others.
Known issues are collected on the 2010 Spring Errata page. There are several known issues in this release, so please do read this page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this pre-release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Report any problems you find in the KDE and GNOME desktops; despite its beta status, we expect it to provide a relatively usable and stable experience, so please report any significant stability or usability issues.
- Report any problems, especially regressions, relating to input devices.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this alpha only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions here to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2010 Spring, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2010 Spring and then remain with a 2010 Spring system, you must change your repositories at the time 2010 Spring is released.
- You can find here useful informations to do a day-to-day Mandriva's applications testing. You can use them for testing and participate to improve Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Bugzilla.
Worldwide Mandriva Official Mirrors
The whole list of Worldwide Mandriva Official Mirrors is available at this URL: Worldwide Mandriva Mirrors
The images are available from the following mirrors:
- ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- http://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (USA)
- ftp://mandriva.c3sl.ufpr.br/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Brazil)
- ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Brazil)
- ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Japan)
- ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distributions/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Japan)
- http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Mandrake/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Taïwan)
- ftp://ftp.join.uni-muenster.de/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Germany)
- ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (France)
- http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (France)
- ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Ireland)
- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Netherlands)
- http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Netherlands)
- ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/Mandrivalinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Poland)
- http://mandriva.dcc.fc.up.pt/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Portugal)
- http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/mandriva/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Czech Republic)
- http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Romania)
- ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/Linux/Mandriva/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Russia)
- ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2010.1/ (Sweden)