Mandriva Linux 2008 Beta 1 (aka Cassini)
From Mandriva Community Wiki
The first beta release of Mandriva Linux 2008 is now available. There is information about the new release in various places:
- Mandriva Linux 2008 release notes: these will be updated to reflect the status of the current beta.
- A guide to some major new features of Mandriva Linux 2008: not all of these are yet implemented.
- The fully detailed technical specifications for Mandriva Linux 2008: not all of these are yet implemented.
This beta is available as a Free edition for the x86-32 architecture, on three CDs or one DVD, with a traditional installer. It is also available as a mini ISO, containing just the packages needed for a base installation, intended for users who wish to build exactly the system they want from the public repositories on top of a light base. Future betas will available in a range of other editions, including the One live / install format with proprietary drivers and firmware.
The images are available from any official Mandriva mirror site in the /devel/iso/2008.0 subdirectory. For the list of Mandriva mirrors see CookerMirrors.
Known issues are collected on the 2008 Errata page.
You are encouraged to test and comment on this beta release. Feedback should be posted in the form of bug reports to Bugzilla, or if it is not a type of feedback that can be expressed as a bug report, to the Cooker mailing list or to the Mandriva Forums.
- Check that all your hardware is supported. Note that this beta only includes free software. Proprietary drivers for components which require or can use them - especially for ATI and NVIDIA video cards, Intel Centrino wireless adapters, and HSF modems - are available from the Cooker non-free repository. Follow the instructions at Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software#Making_more_applications_available to configure this and other repositories. It should be noted that if you continue to use these repositories after the release of Mandriva Linux 2008, you will then be following the development of the next release of Mandriva Linux. If you wish to follow development of 2008 and then remain with a 2008 system, you must change your repositories at the time 2008 is released.
- Report any missing or unwanted software. Please take care to see if these issues have already been filed.
For help on reporting bugs, consult our general guidelines on Development/Howto/Bugzilla.
Some known issues are identified on the Spring Errata page. Please check there to see if a particular problem has a workaround or has been fixed.