From Mandriva Community Wiki
We are a commercial company called Mandriva. We develop a free / open-source software Linux-based operating system called Mandriva Linux. We use an open development process enabling people to contribute at almost every stage of the process (documentation, use cases, wishes, specs, code, build, packaging, support). We sell packaged solutions, support, training and consulting.
As a part of this project, we set up and provide an online set of tools, among which is this wiki. Its license is intended to ease the collaboration process between people and organizations, in order to help make the Mandriva operating system a useful, simple and powerful solution to everyone and to grow a sound ecosystem around it.
We now have a common wiki platform meant to host all community-related matters:
- Translation-related information
- Release information
- User information, including guides for various topics and information on how Mandriva tools and systems work
- Usage: use cases and scenarios available, or to be implemented
- LUGs: communication/log/help area for user groups, on- and off-line
- Web development
There are several localizations of the wiki, so people can collaborate in their native language if they prefer to; you can check all available locales here : http://wiki.mandriva.com/?noredirect=1 .
Note that at this point, only base languages are supported (for example, only fr - not fr-FR, fr-BE, fr-CH, fr-CA, etc). If there is enough momentum, we may open new ones.
In order to ensure the wiki maintains its pace and consistency, wiki managers are needed.
There is a manager (or a team of managers) for the whole wiki, and each localization has its own manager in charge of helping and directing contributors, and ensuring the consistency of its contents.
Managers' roles are:
- to ensure their area is properly set up
- to handle, and inform users about, content organization
- to keep in contact with other managers so they all have an idea of the wiki status, and can report to anyone
- for specialist content managers, to handle and keep up to date this content
- to follow the wiki-discuss mailing-list
Decisions about the wiki should be taken by the main managers, with input from others.
Current managers are:
- main managers: Romain d'Alverny, isteam
- English wiki: Thierry Vignaud
- Spanish wiki: Luis María Garcia Ruipérez (luismago)
- Finnish wiki: Anssi Hannula
- French wiki: Fredxx was a manager, Vincent Panel (yoho)
- German wiki: Thorsten van Lil (TeaAge), schwarzT4
- Italian wiki: Marcello Anni (killer1987)
- Japanese wiki: ?
- Norwegian wiki: Per Øyvind Karlsen
- Polish wiki: ?
- Portuguese wiki: Marcos "Japa" Umino (MandrivaBrasil.org)
- Russian wiki: no one
- Turkish wiki: Atilla ÖNTAŞ
- Simplified Chinese wiki: ?
- Traditional Chinese wiki: You-Cheng Hsieh, Huang Shiva
If you think we should open a new localized area for the wiki, feel free to propose it to the web-discuss mailing-list. If you would like to manage or improve an existing area, feel free to do so as well.
To help in this project, the web-discuss mailing-list was created. The wiki announcement email of the project is archived there.